An Initial Review is a good way to get to know the people at Open Query and the way we work. It's a packaged 4 hour Ad-Hoc Consulting arrangement where we do the following:
- Discuss with you whether there are any particular current concerns you'd like us to investigate.
- Arrange remote access to your database server, optionally slaves, and possibly web servers or other related systems.
- Take a look around on the servers, both on the OS level as well as the specific services such as MySQL, Apache/lighttpd/nginx.
- We report back to you on our findings, and prioritise work. There might be improvements/changes that should be implemented immediately (within the initial review timeframe), and some that can be addressed later (additional ad-hoc work, or over time within a subscription arrangement).
- We do the urgent work, as agreed in the prior step and within the agreed timeframe/cost.
- We review the gains with you, and discuss future steps and arrangements.
At Open Query, we believe that it's wiser to help before trouble occurs, and to prevent it.
- You really can't prevent servers from failing in some way, in the end they all do. But you can make your infrastructure more resilient, and this mainly requires smarts and expertise, not a massive budget, or components with an "enterprise" label which actually does not even mean they are suitable for your particular needs,
- Knowledge and skills. Through our training courses, and knowledge transfer during consulting and support engagements, we help you learn to help yourself more. We don't keep secrets. If you want to become a guru in this realm, that's cool with us.
- Let us assist you throughout your design, development, deployment and maintenance phases. We charge sensible rates as we value ongoing engagements and appreciate that the economy has not been kind to all. Let us help you relax, when you trust that a failure is not an emergency.
Or in the words of legendary aviatrix Amelia Aerhart: to worry is to add another hazard.